To set minimum requirements for building officials who provide services to local authorities, the Province of Saskatchewan adopts three primary classes of licence under which building officials are authorized to provide plan review, inspection and enforcement services, categorized by major occupancy and size of buildings.
- Class 1 – covers one and two-unit dwellings.
- Class 2 – covers any buildings that fall under Part 9 of the National Building Code, including Class 1.
- Class 3 – covers any buildings under the National Building Code, including Classes 1 and 2.
Southeast College administers BSL Building Official Class 1, 2 and 3 Examinations. They do bookings, communicate with Approved Testing Centres and invigilators, collect fees, mark exams and advise of results. To apply to write, please call Weyburn Campus at 306-848-2500 and complete the Application to Write form.
Building Standards in the Ministry of Government Relations issues Building Official licences. They also maintain a list of licensed Building Officials who are available to provide contract services. To confirm the level of licence held by a Building Official or to obtain a copy of the contract services list, contact:
Find more information in the following BSL guides, advisories and forms at Publications Saskatchewan.
- Building Officials (guide)
- Role of the Building Official (advisory)
- Inspections of Duplexes with Secondary Suites by Class 1 Building Officials (advisory)
- Orders of a Building Official (advisory)
- Building Official Licence Training (advisory)
- Building Official – Exam Application (form)
- Building Official License Application (form)
- Click here for more information and how to apply for a licence.